You are here - Practical Informations > For the Company > What makes a good project for an internship?
What makes a good project for an internship?
Internships are more than boring and repetitive work; they’re meant to provide young adults with the knowledge they need to advance their professions. Internships, paid or unpaid, should serve as the way to full-time employment, which is why it’s important to offer projects to your interns that they can add to their resumes and portfolios upon the end of their involvement.
If you’re currently brainstorming new projects for your interns, check out this helpful list to get you started:
- Compile research for a new product or campaign. Assigning a research project to an intern is an exceptional task because it helps them develop valuable transferable skills they can use through their career.
- Create a marketing or public relations plan. This type of project is ideal for a communications, marketing, public relations, or even your social media intern. Have your intern draft up a strategy to endorse your product or service and then implement that proposal. This way, they will be able to apply the skills they learned in the university and you will benefit from a new advertising approach for your product.
- Plan and coordinate an event or meeting. Event planning is a great way to give your intern ownership of a project. It is a great way for your intern to practice their leadership and management skills throughout their internship.
- Analyze the company website and design a proposal. Another great way to utilize your intern’s creative ideas is to assign him or her with the task of analysing your company’s website to discover areas that need improvement.
- Prepare a budget. If you hire an accounting or financial intern, this would be a great opportunity for them to gain some experience with the financial department of your company.
- Design a mobile app. Interns who have background in computer engineering or computer science would benefit significantly from this task. This is an exciting way for him or her to apply their design skills as well as their passion for mobile app development.
- Create a crowdfunding campaign. Crowdfunding campaigns utilize different skills such as marketing, public relations, and social media. This is a cool project for your intern because it allows them to be innovative by researching, planning, and executing an entire campaign for the introduction of your new product or service.
- Write content for your company’s blog. For interns with strong writing skills, blogging is an excellent way for them to build their portfolio while building awareness for your company’s brand.